Today is known Data Privacy Day (28th January), and it is a noteworthy reminder of the importance of security in the tech world. Data Privacy Day was first initiated 35 years ago (initially named Data Protection Day), with the aim of improving online security and increasing awareness of privacy issues –whether using your mobile, computer or any other tech device.
DigitalGuardian, a company with the aim of protecting data around the globe, has provided a number of straightforward security tips for Data Privacy Day; here are a few of the tips below:
- Ensure that you use a unique and complex password for every online account as this is more likely to make it difficult for hackers in discovering your password.
- Use antivirus software as it protects against common viruses –at the least a free antivirus software should be installed. Laptop Outlet offers an affordable BullGuard Anti-Virus Software.
- Keep track of the data you store online, and delete any data you no longer need. This is important in order to limit information available to any attacker.
- Avoid using unprotected or free Wi-Fi networks, as they are prone to being used by online hackers.
- Regularly update your software and Operating System, in order to ensure that new security updates are activated.
These straightforward security tips are vital to ensure online security, whether at work, home or on-the-go. Data Privacy Day 2016 is evidently a significant opportunity to re-evaluate your online security precautions, and ensuring the discretion of your personal data, at a time where online theft is increasingly prevalent.