This year’s Google developer conference saw the launch of all of the exciting new products and services from the tech giant. The keynote, where they showcased all things Google for the upcoming year gave us an insight into a range of upcoming releases over the 3 day event.
If you don’t want to know of every single announcement and launch, and would rather skip to all of the good bits, then we’ve got you covered, so read on for our top 5 highlights from Google I/O 2017!
1) Google Lens – A new app from Google called ‘Google lens’ is set to revolutionise the way we use our smartphone cameras. The idea is for you to be able to use your lens to be able to interact with the world virtually, allowing you to do things like pointing your camera at a shop and Google Lens will give you more information on it.
More excitingly, it will also allow you to point your camera at a Wi-Fi router’s password label and it will automatically connect you to the Wi-Fi, so you don’t have to waste time with long Wi-Fi credentials or by making any typos.
2) Android O- The upcoming Android update is something everyone is always looking for more of an insight into, and so unsurprisingly is another one of the top 5 highlights from Google I/O 2017.
The latest software update will feature an enhanced notification centre, more multi-tasking tools and capabilities, as well as picture-in-picture mode which will allow you to have a smaller screen open whilst remaining on another screen. There were also some more hints that lead us to believe Android O will most definitely be called Android Oreo!
3) Google Assistant – Whether you were following the keynote or not, Google Assistant was huge news. The announcement that ‘Hey Siri’ could soon be replaced by ‘OK Google’ on iPhones as well as iPads created a lot of buzz.
Disappointingly, it won’t be able to do everything that Siri does because of restrictions and won’t actually answer to the ‘OK Google’ command! The assistant is already available on selected smartphones like the LG G6, however the app will be available for download later on in the year for the UK.
4) Google Home – As well as taking on Apple’s Siri, they are also taking on Amazon’s Echo with Google’s voice activated assistant, ‘Google Home’. However the smart speaker is set to be a real rival to the Amazon Echo with its new features.
Although the previous version did not take off, the new Google Home will allow you to make hands free phone calls whilst displaying your phone number because it lets you link it to your mobile number. Also, as it is from Google it will have a world of content behind it and will be compatible with apps like WhatsApp and Spotify.
Image Source: Google
5) Google Photos – Google is working towards eliminating the issue of photos getting forgotten on our virtual photo albums with new tools for Google Photos. ‘Suggested Sharing’ will introduce a new way of sharing photos, and will use facial recognition to group photos together and make sharing them much more easier.
It will create albums for you by recognising the faces in the images and send them all to whoever you want to send them to.
What are you most excited about from the top 5 highlights from Google I/O 2017? Let us know in the comments section below! And if you’re after a tablet, feel free to check out our pick of the best tablets under £100 here!